Manchester Camerata joined in the centenery celebrations of one of Manchester's most treasured Public Parks.
|Platt Fields - where Rusholme, Fallowfield and Moss Side meet -was built in 1910 by the city's unemployed following a fiery campaign to save the land from developers.
Lord Worsley twice tried to auction off Platt Hall but it never reached the reserve price reached. The estate was then offered up in pieces to a new owner who wanted to pull down the Hall and use the bricks to build a row of shops on Wilmslow Road.
Campaigners pressed the owner to sell the land to Manchester Corporation for just under £60,000. For two years over 700 men were given work to lay out the park and construct the lake with its island.
Its opening was hailed as a triumphant victory of people over profit.
|1907||Platt Fields bought by Manchester Corporation after local campaign|
|1910||People's Park' officially opened|
|1920s||Unemployed people build bowling greens, tennis courts, yachting, paddling and swimming pools.|
|1960s||Swimming pools closed and park falls into disrepair|
|1980s||Park no longer locked at night; visitors allowed to 'walk on the grass'|
|1993||Pets corner closed|
|1994||Friends of Platt Fields Park formed|